This recipe was originally posted on TryVeg.com.
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into 12 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces of firm tofu, mashed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (optional)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Freshly chopped basil or cilantro, optional for garnish.
- Lightly oil a nonstick skillet and cook the first side of the eggplant slices until slightly browned. Turn and cook the second side until easily pierced with a fork. Set aside on plate.
- Using the same skillet, heat ¼ cup of water and cook the onion over medium-high heat until the liquid has evaporated. Then stir in the mashed tofu, spinach and seasonings, and cook for about 5 to 10 more minutes.
- If the mixture is very moist, add flour to help thicken it. Also add more spices to flavor as preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prep the baking dish by spreading a thin layer of marinara sauce along the bottom.
- Place a generous spoonful of the tofu spinach mixture across the center of each eggplant slice. Then, beginning with the narrow end of the eggplant, roll around the filling.
- Arrange the eggplant rolls in a baking dish, seam-side down. Top with marinara sauce. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve with freshly chopped basil or cilantro for a tasty garnish.
Makes 12 manicotti. Enjoy!