This recipe was originally posted on TryVeg.com.
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 16-ounce package of seitan strips or chunks of seitan cut into strips (try White Wave Vegetarian Stir Fry Strips or Lightlife Steak Style Strips)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups vegetarian barbeque sauce
- 4 sandwich rolls
- hot sauce to taste
- garnish: lettuce, tomato, green pepper, if desired
Drain seitan and set aside.
Sauté the onion in vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat until soft.
Add seitan, and cook until lightly browned, stirring often. Add barbeque sauce, reduce to medium heat, and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until the barbeque sauce has thickened to completely coat the seitan (about 30 to 45 minutes).
Add hot sauce to taste. Spread seitan mixture on rolls and garnish, if desired.
Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!