Like most kids, I loved McDonalds. A kids meal cheeseburger with fries was a treat. Of course now that I’m vegan, I’d never dream of stepping foot in a McDonalds (do we have to go into all the reasons?). But, just because I’m vegan that doesn’t mean I can’t indulge cruelty-free alternatives to the foods I grew up on. This recipe for a vegan egg McMuffin is simple, delicious and most importantly: doesn’t harm a single animal.
- 1 block firm tofu
- Vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 1 slice vegan sausage or Canadian bacon
- 1 vegan English muffin
- 1 slice vegan cheddar cheese
- Vegan margarine spread
- Slice ⅓ of the tofu horizontally so that it is about X thick. Either cut it into a square, or use a metal food ring mold or knife to cut it into a disk. This is your “egg”.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder onto the “egg” and gently coat all surfaces so that they are a light yellow color. Season with garlic powder and black pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and cook the “egg” and the sausage (or Canadian bacon), so that they are browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, toast the English muffin and butter with vegan margarine.
- Assemble the sandwich using the cheese, “egg” and vegan sausage/bacon. Feel free to add some vegan mayo, avocado slices and sliced tomato to it. Yum!