Who would have though black eyed peas (not the band!) and sweet potatoes would be a winning match? I came across this recipe for black eyed sweet potato sliders on Pinterest from the amazing Kathy Patalsky of Healthy, Happy, Life and just knew I had to make them myself. I adapted the recipe so they don’t look exactly like the original but don’t let that fool you, these sandwiches are delicious!
3 cups black eyes peas
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, mashed
1 tsp salt (add 1/4 tsp at a time to taste)
3/4+ tsp spices
a few dashes fine black pepper
2+ Tbsp nutritional yeast
1-2 tsp oil (if baking, fold the oil into the patty mixture, if sauteing add the oil to the pan)
thinly sliced red onion
whole wheat buns (Trader Joe’s)
avocado, tomato, other sprouts/lettuce (optional)
1. Bake, peel and mash your sweet potato. Add to large mixing bowl.
2. Cook your black eyes peas (I steamed mine). Add to large bowl along with the remaining patty ingredients.
3. Using a large fork or potato masher – mash the contents of the bowl.
4. If baking, heat oven to 350 degrees. If using stove top – heat 1 tsp oil in large saute or grill pan.
5. Form slider patties. Baking: about 22 minutes. For saute: cook about 3 minutes on each side.
6. Assembly: toast burger buns. Add a slather of vegan mayo. Add burger, thin red onion, optional avocado and tomato and micro greens – or another form of lettuce of sprout.
Serve warm and enjoy!