Any animal charities out there looking to fund a project? LoveAnimals.org is for you! LoveAnimals.org is the new crowdfunding website (like Kickstarter.com and Kiva.org) for nonprofit animal groups, and they are looking for more projects their network of donors can fund. During the last few months the site has been in beta, they successfully fundraised for orphaned bald eaglets, sea turtles, the pets of military veterans, and a tiger with a toothache.
Microfunding/crowdfunding works, and LoveAnimals.org is open to any animal charity serving any animals in need. All donations go directly to the group itself – LoveAnimals.org takes no percentage of funds raised – which means more money directly benefits the cause. AWESOME.
Unfortunately, animal and wildlife charities have been slow to adopt online philanthropy. There are an estimated 26,000 animal welfare and wildlife conservation nonprofits in the U.S., which combined receive less than two percent of all charitable contributions. LoveAnimals.org hopes to change that.
CHECK THEM OUT!
Like most kids, I loved McDonalds. A kids meal cheeseburger with fries was a treat. Of course now that I’m vegan, I’d never dream of stepping foot in a McDonalds (do we have to go into all the reasons?). But, just because I’m vegan that doesn’t mean I can’t indulge cruelty-free alternatives to the foods I grew up on. This recipe for a vegan egg McMuffin is simple, delicious and most importantly: doesn’t harm a single animal.
- Slice ⅓ of the tofu horizontally so that it is about X thick. Either cut it into a square, or use a metal food ring mold or knife to cut it into a disk. This is your “egg”.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder onto the “egg” and gently coat all surfaces so that they are a light yellow color. Season with garlic powder and black pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and cook the “egg” and the sausage (or Canadian bacon), so that they are browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, toast the English muffin and butter with vegan margarine.
- Assemble the sandwich using the cheese, “egg” and vegan sausage/bacon. Feel free to add some vegan mayo, avocado slices and sliced tomato to it. Yum!